In any profession, there are a series of questions that are often asked. You become so use to the questions that when you give your answers they almost come across rehearsed. In fact, depending on how the question starts off you probably already know what is going to be asked. As you are browsing my blog, and thank you for that, there are probably some questions that you have that, I am willing to bet, I have been asked before. Please feel free to ask me whatever questions you would like. I am an open book. I have nothing to hide.
1. What do you prefer to be called? Cupcake, Brown Sugar, or Nicole? Brown Sugar is simply the name of the blog. I like brown sugar. It is an awesome ingredient that is very versatile. Cupcake was a name given to me by a peer that I work with. Before I started blogging I was always making cupcakes. So one day a co-worker came in and said “Whats up Cupcake?” I loved it! I thought it was super cute. People from work call me Cupcake or Nared. I don’t really care what people call me as long as it isn’t disrespectful or derogatory. I probably won’t answer to Brown Sugar though.
2. What do you do for a living? I am a Higher Education professional. I work for a major university that is her in the Cincinnati area and I basically work as a enrollment and academic counselor; part time marketing consultant; and whatever else I need to be. I have been working in this industry for 7 years and I do like what I do, but not as much as cooking and baking all day and talking to you all. That’s hardly work, which is where I am trying to get to.
3. What is your favorite thing that you have made? The Strawberry Biscuits with the cream is wonderful! I came up with that on a whim. My Loaded Baked Potato Breakfast Casserole is amazing! Really my breakfast foods are what my favorite. I love breakfast.
4. Are you a full-time blogger? No. However, I do put in full time hours. This blog is my baby. No one else contributes to my blog except me. Therefore, I really enjoy working on my blog as much as I do. I never thought about working as a full time blogger a day in my life. In fact, I didn’t think such a profession existed. To go a bit further, I didn’t even know bloggers could get paid. Currently, I have a full time position in higher education as an administrator where I work from home. You are probably thinking that I can do a lot of work on my blog due to my profession but I still have a job that needs my attention. In any case, I would love to one day be a full time blogger where the majority of my household income and expenses will be taken care of, but I’m just enjoying reading your comments and challenging myself to creating good dishes for you.
5. Where did you learn how to cook? I got it honest from both sides of my family. It just started with me a little late. My earliest memory of cooking was with my grandmother in her kitchen and I remember watching her make homemade biscuits. I thought “This woman is a genius!”. I watched her make fried apples and homemade pancakes all the time. I just didn’t do good at making that stuff until my mid to late twenties. I think years of watching cook I was subconsciously taking tips and it just stuck. The men on my mother’s side of the family can cook and my grandfather on my father’s side can throw down as well!
6. What camera do you use? I use a Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18.0 Megapixel DSLR Camera with a 18-55 mm Lens. I got her in February 2012 so I am still learning how to use her. I also have a macro lens, Canon EF 50mmf/2.5 Compact Macro Lens, to get those yummy close ups you guys like so much. Before that I was using my friends camera and she has a Nokia D3100 14.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera. Prior to that I was using a Nikon Digital Camera. I came a long way. I will be making a post about food photography soon and some of the things I have learned so far. I still have a long way to go but if you are new to the food blogging world, your photos are very important. Good pictures will increase your traffic and make you stand out.
7. What should we know about you? I am goofy, silly, very laid back, and I love to cook. I knew that I should be blogging the fist time someone I didn’t know sent me a response and told me that they tried a dish of mine and they loved it! That fulfilled me like nothing else in this world. I love to create things that are easy, simple, and comforting for people to try with their friends and families. Also know that I am always thinking about you and what will make your tummies fat and happy.
8. Can I use your photos for my website? You know, I am laid back and I typically don’t mind as long as they photo is noted that it was taken by me and the traffic is redirected to my site. As long as you can respect that, it will be fine. Please send me an email asking me first.