I have been dying to make these Potato Latkas with Smoked Salmon for a while now.
Enjoy these Potato Latkas with Smoked Salmon as an appetizer or the main star for breakfast.
Okay, my friends and family often say that I must have some Irish blood running through my veins because I am a serious fiend when it comes to all things potato. I love French Fries, Baked Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Potato Pancakes, even Candied Sweet Potatoes. Heck, I love Mr. Potato Head! Potatoes for me runs in the same group with bread for me. It is just too difficult for me to walk away. Just like eating a warm slice of French bread with butter has the same temptation for me as eating a hot and crispy Waffle Fry from Chik-Fil-A. Potatoes are a root vegetable that is presented on my kitchen table, at least, once a week. I love, love, love them!
I tried to make Potato Latkas a few years ago, before I was serious blogging, and they were okay. I couldn’t get them to hold together that well and I made them completely from scratch. Meaning, I shredded each and every potato with a cheese grater and made a great big mess. When I decided to execute this recipe I knew I wanted to make them as easy as possible FOR YOU! So, I took a bag of shredded hash browns by Simply Potatoes and made beautiful, golden, and crisp Potato Latkas and topped them off with sour cream, smoked salmon, and a little lemon zest to add brightness! You can make these lovelies for breakfast, brunch, or as an appetizer. My husband was eating them for lunch. They are extremely versatile for any time of day or meal. But let me also tell you about the smoked salmon though!
Okay, so you guys have heard of bagels and sandwiches served with Salmon and lox, right? Basically, it’s salmon that has been cured with smoke, salt, or sugar. It practically raw. I love salmon…cooked. I can’t remember the first time I was presented the option of having a bagel with salmon and lox, but I remember what I was thinking…why? Why on earth would someone eat salmon raw?! Doesn’t it taste fishy, slimy, and just plain old weird? But then I thought, “Nicole, you eat sushi, duh!” Then I thought, how bad could it be. To my pleasant surprise, I found out it wasn’t bad at all! In fact, I think smoked salmon is quite incredible and can’t wait to discover more ways to cook with it.
Overall, these Potato Latkas with Smoked Salmon are layers of flavor and texture that can’t be escaped! You will love the crispiness of the latka, the coolness of the sour cream, and the smoky flavor of the salmon brightened up with the zest of lemon. You will fall in love with this dish over and over again.
- 20 oz. Bag of Shredded Potatoes, thawed
- ¼ c. flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1tsp. Pepper
- ½ tsp. Dill
- 1 tbsp. Chives, chopped
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ c. panko bread crumbs
- 2 c. canola oil
- Sour cream
- 3 oz. smoked salmon
- Lemon zest
- In a large bowl, add the shredded hash browns, beaten eggs, and flour. Using your hands, toss the ingredients together. Next, add the seasonings (salt, pepper, dill, onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning). Toss with the potato mixture.
- In a medium sized shallow heavy skillet, heat the oil on medium high heat. Pour the panko bread crumbs in a plate. Take about ½ cup of the potato mixture and form into a patty form, coat with panko bread crumbs on both sides. If it seems to fall apart don’t worry because it will stick together once they cook. Place in the pan and cook on both sides for 5-7 minutes until crisp and golden. Flip and cook on the other side. Place on plate lined with paper towels.
- Once the potato latkas are cooked, add a dollop of sour cream, add the amount desired of the smoked salmon on each latka, and add lemon zest and sprinkle with salt.