Enjoy a slice of this Angel Food Cake recipe with a Strawberry topping that is so light, airy, and angelic you would think it a sin eating this cake for dessert!
- 15 Whole Eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. Cream of tartar
- 1 c. cake flour, sifted
- 1 ½ c. sugar, sifted
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 c. strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, separate the eggs whites and the yolks. Be careful to not get any of the yolks in the egg whites. Using a handheld or standing mixer, beat the eggs whites until frothy (lots of bubbles but still somewhat loose) on medium speed. Add the cream of tartar and beat on high speed until the eggs whites become stiff, with stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low-medium and slowly pour in the sugar. Once the sugar has been added, turn off mixer. In a separate bowl, whisk the sifted flour and salt and slowly fold in the flour, little by little, until well mixed. Finally, add the vanilla extract and fold in the mixture until there are no streaks. Pour the mixture into an UNGREASED Angel Food Cake baking pan. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Leave the door closed until about 30 minutes to check the cake.
- Remove cake from oven and place a cooling rack on top of the cake (where the bottom of the cake is showing). Flip upside down and allow to cool inverted. Once ready to remove from pan, take a knife along the edges of the cake to help the cake come out of the pan.
- For the topping: Cut the strawberries by removing the tops and cutting into quarters. Place the sliced strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Use a spoon and toss to coat the berries. Allow sitting at room temperature for, at least, 30 minutes. The sugar will dissolve the berries will release some of its liquid. Serve the cake with a dollop of whipped cream and strawberries.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Dessert