These Apple Cider Doughnuts will put you in the Fall spirit! With this recipe from Bobby Flay, you can’t mess up this recipe!
- 2 c. apple cider
- 1 tbsp. light or dark brown sugar
- 3 3/4 c. flour (spooned into the measuring cup and leveled), plus for dusting
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp. plus 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Put the apple cider and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat to medium and cook until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 25 minutes and where the apple cider begins to look like syrup. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until completely cool.
- Stir together the dry ingredients that includes flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon and the nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the butter and 1 cup of the sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Lower the speed to medium and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Then add the buttermilk, vanilla extract and the cooled apple syrup, and mix until combined. Lower the speed again and add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time; mix until just combined. Don’t worry if the dough still seems a bit soft.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle with a little flour. Pour the dough onto the baking sheet and pat to flatten until they have reached about 3/4 inch of thickness. Sprinkle the top with flour. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, at least, or overnight until firm.
- Begin to warm up your oil in your deep fryer to 350 degrees. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and using a donut cutter, cut out donuts to be fried. You can put powdered sugar in one bowl and/or put 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 2 tbsp. of cinnamon in a large bowl for coating.
- Place the doughnuts in the deep fryer and cook until slightly brown on each side. Use a slotted spoon to remove the doughnuts and place on paper towels to remove the excess oil and then coat on both sides in your choice of coating and transfer to a serving tray. Continue this process until all donuts are made.
- Category: Breakfast