This classic Southern Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is delicious. It’s made with five kinds of cheese and is great for holidays!
- 12 oz. Elbow Macaroni Pasta
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 4 tbsp. Flour
- 12 oz. Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 2 whole large eggs (optional)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp. Hot sauce
- 8 oz. Block Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated and divided
- 8 oz. Bock White Cheddar Cheese, grated and divided
- 8 oz. Block Fontina Cheese, grated and divided
- 8 oz. Velveeta Cheese, cubed
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese, cubed
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of water until al dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Turn to a separate bowl along with the water to ensure the pasta doesn’t dry out.
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees and spray a 9X13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In the same or separate large saucepot on medium heat. Melt the butter and add the flour and whisk together. It will look clumpy. This is normal. Slowly pour in the evaporated milk while whisking to remove any flour clumps.
- Next, add the whole milk and stir. Be sure to continue to stir so the milk doesn’t burn. Do not bring to a boil, only to steam.
- Add the heavy cream, salt, pepper, dry mustard, onion and garlic powder, and hot sauce and stir. Add the Velveeta Cheese and Cream Cheese and stir until melted.
- Add half of the sharp cheddar cheese, white cheddar cheese, and Fontina Cheese. Stir until melted.
- In a small bowl, crack the two eggs and whisk until yolks and whites are well combined. Take one ladle of the milk and cheese mixture and very slowly whisk the hot liquid into the bowl with the cracked eggs. Pour in slowly with a thin stream. Once completed added, whisk into the large pot with the rest of the liquid and remove it from heat.
- Add the pasta and stir. Pour the pasta into the cheese mixture, stir to combine, and pour in the baking dish. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven cover for 15 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes for all the topping to brown. Allow to slightly cool and serve.
- Adding the eggs to this recipe is optional. If you do not wish to add them proceed with the rest of the recipe and process without that step.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked macaroni and cheese, mac n cheese, mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese, soul food mac and cheese, southern mac and cheese, soul food macaroni and cheese