Beef Birria Tacos are made from small, thin, crunchy corn tortillas that are folded and filled with succulent beef birria. Check out this mouth-watering beef birria taco recipe.
- 8 dried guajillo chiles, stems removed
- 2 dried pasilla chiles, stems removed
- 4 c. of steaming hot water
- 1 medium white onion, halved and divided
- 2 heaping tbsp. Tomato Paste or 1 Roma Tomato, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. Chicken bouillonon paste
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. Dried thyme
- 1 tsp. Dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin seeds
- 3 lbs. Boneless Chuck Roast
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 c. cold water
- 20 corn tortilla
- 16 oz. Oaxaca cheese, shredded
- Optional Toppings: chopped red onion, pico de gallo, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, sliced radishes, and lime wedges.
- In a large bowl, combine chiles and steaming hot water to a bowl. Allow the chiles to rehydrate by sitting in the water for, at least, 30 minutes. While soaking, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Let sit at room temperature.
- In a blender, blend half of the white onion, the tomato or tomato paste, garlic, bouillon, peppercorns, thyme, oregano, cumin seeds, the soaked chiles, and its liquid on high until completely combined about 2 minutes. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Place the beef chuck roast in a dutch oven, and add the remaining half of the onion, bay leaves, strained sauce, and two cups of cold water to the dutch oven. Stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator and sit for, at least, 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees. Place the dutch oven in the preheated oven for 3 hours. The meat should begin falling apart and is tender. Remove the beef from the pot and shred with two forks. Place the pot on medium and continue simmering the sauce for 30 minutes, until reduced by half.
- In a separate heavy-duty cast iron skillet, turn to medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick oil spray. Take one of the corn tortillas and dip it into the broth/ red sauce. Place on top of the skillet and allow to cook on one side for 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some of the cheese and allow it to melt. Once the cheese begins to melt, add a forkful of the beef. Fold the tortilla into a taco and flip on the other side for 3-5 minutes to become crisp. Serve with desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex Mex
Keywords: beef birria tacos recipes, beef birria, beef birria tacos with consomme, birria tacos recipe easy, authentic beef birria tacos