1. Dissolve yeast in a bowl with the lukewarm milk. You can warm the milk by placing it in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixing bowl, mix together the butter, salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Change the mixer tool to the dough hook. Slowly add the flour into the butter mixture while interchangeably adding the yeast mixture. Allow the mixer to knead the dough until well mixed, for about 3 minutes. Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until it doubles in size (this can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour).
3. Turn on your waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions and allow it to get very hot. This is important because it has to melt the pearl sugar. Once your dough has doubled in size, add the sugar by mixing it in with your hands. The dough will still feel very “doughy” and that is okay.
4. Once the sugar is well incorporated, pour some of the thick batter onto the waffle iron (amount that your waffle iron instructions specify) and spread it out with a rubber spatula. Allow it to cook for about 5 minutes. If that is not long enough, and you want it crisper, cook longer. The waffle should be nice and golden brown and the rock sugar should completely caramelize. Remove cooked waffle from the waffle iron and put it on a plate while you finish making the rest of the waffles.
5. Serve as is or you can top with whipped cream and berries or you can serve with ice cream. Yum!