This recipe is adapted from “Teeny’s Tour of Pie: A Cookbook” and is perfect for brunch and/or breakfast
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 1/2 c. peeled, shredded hash brown potatoes ( I used Russet)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, cleaned, and whites and light greens thinly sliced into half-moons
- 8 oz. mushrooms, removed from the stem and cut into 1/4 inch sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees with a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. While the skillet heats, combine the shredded potatoes with 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and the rosemary in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Add the seasoned potatoes to the hot skillet, spread them into a single layer, and cook, flipping once with a spatula, until they are crispy on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook until they are soft and lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs and cream in a large bowl and whisk together. Add salt and pepper and half the grated cheese and whisk until incorporated.
- Press the cooled hash browns into the bottom and up the side of a 9 inch pie plate. Spread the leeks and mushrooms over the bottom of the crust, and top with the remaining cheese. Pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake until the filling is cooked through and the top is nicely browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1