- 16.5 oz. box Duncan Hines Caramel Cake
- 1 stick + 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- 1 3/4 c. boiling water
- caramel sauce, for drizzling
- Preheat your crockpot by placing it on low 10-15 minutes before you begin making the cake (I used a 7 quart crockpot).
- Reserve 1 cup of the cake mix and set aside and melt the stick of butter. Take the remaining of the cake mix and place it into a large bowl. Pour in the melted stick of butter and the 1/2 cup of milk and stir until most of the lumps are out and the batter is thick and smooth. Pour that part of the cake batter into the crockpot. Use a spoon and spread evenly across the bottom of the crockpot.
- Sprinkle the butterscotch chips on top of the bottom layer of the cake. Optional: if you would like to drizzle about 1/4 cup of caramel here, you can do that as well. Now, take the 1 cup of the reserved cake mix and place it into a separate medium shallow bowl. Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Pour in the melted butter and the boiling water and stir until well mixed. Pour the mixture over the rest of the cake that is in the crock pot and allow to cook for 2 hours or until cake has set in the middle. If it is taking longer than 2 hours you can turn it up on high for about 30 minutes or until middle part is set and turn back down on warm (You do not have to. You can just let it bake until its done on low).
- Serve with ice cream and drizzle additional caramel sauce on top and enjoy!