White Cheddar Cheese and Chive Scalloped Potatoes White Cheddar and Gruyere Cheese, chives, and bacon. This is the perfect side dish for any occasion!
- • 4 tbsp butter
- • 3 tbsp + 2 tsp flour
- • 2 1/2 c. milk
- • 6 Yukon Golden potatoes, sliced thinly
- • 1/4 c. chives, more for garnishing
- • 1 1/2 c. sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- • 1 1/2 c. Gruyere cheese, divided
- • 1 c. bacon bits (turkey or pork)
- • salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Slice the potatoes thinly and layer evenly in an oven-safe skillet or casserole dish set aside. In a medium-sized pot melt the butter on medium heat. Once the butter has completely melted, whisk in the flour a tablespoon and then teaspoon at a time until fully incorporated and becomes slightly brown.
- Begin to add the milk a cup at a time while whisking to make sure there aren’t any clumps forming. Once all the milk has been added, continue to stir slightly while the milk mixture begins to thicken. This should take about 5 minutes. Bring the milk mixture to steam. Add a half cup of each of the cheeses, 1/4 c. of chives and stir. The mixture will thicken even more. Once the cheese has completely melted inside the milk mixture season with a little salt and pepper and pour over the potatoes.
- Top off with the remaining cheeses, sprinkle with more chopped chives, and the bacon bits. Place on top of a baking sheet so when everything overflows its doesn’t drip on your oven floor. Bake inside the oven for 1 hour and until the cheese on top is golden brown. When finished remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Category: Side Dish