- 1 lb. frozen unsweetened cherries
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2/3 c. crushed pineapple
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3/4 c. crushed pineapple
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- In a medium sauce pan combine the frozen cherries and sugar. Stir on medium heat. The cherries will begin to release its liquid. Add the lemon zest and juice. Continue to stir as more liquid is released. In a small ramekin add the 1/4 cup of water and tbsp. of cornstarch and stir until dissolved. Pour into the cherry mixture. Add the crushed pineapple (2/3 cups). Allow to simmer on low to medium heat for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will thicken. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cake mix and blend in the eggs, melted butter and water until smooth. Add the almond extract and the 3/4 cups of crushed pineapple.
- In a medium sized cast iron skillet, spray the entire pan with baking spray. Pour in just enough of the cherry glaze to cover the bottom of the pan (about half). Reserve the rest.
- Pour in the cake batter on top of the cherry glaze. Place the pan on top of a baking sheet because the glaze may bubble a little bit. Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick is inserted in the middle of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Take a plate and place it on top of the pan and flip it upside down and the cake should come out smooth. Pour the rest of the cherry glaze on top of the cake and serve.