Eating chili and cornbread together has never been more delicious! Enjoy this Chili Cornbread Casserole when you need something hearty and comforting!
- 1 ½ c. onions, diced
- 1 ½ c. green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground turkey sausage
- ½ tbsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tbsp. Coarse black pepper
- 2–15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 4.25 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. Chipotle sauce
- 14.5 oz. chilli beans
- 1.25 oz. chilli seasoning
- 2–4.75 oz. boxes Jiffy Cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 c. milk
- 1 dollop sour cream
- 7 oz. cream corn
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 ½ c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Using a large shallow saute pan, heat 2 tbsp. Olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and bell pepper to the pan. Saute for 5-7 minutes, just until soft and translucent. Next, add the garlic cloves and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and ground sausage to the pan. Cook the meat with the veggies until cooked through and browned, about 10-15 minutes. Drain any excess grease and return to pan.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir. Add both cans of tomato sauce, tomato paste and stir until well mixed. Add the chipotle sauce, chili beans, chili seasoning, and stir. Allow simmering for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the chili in a 9X13 casserole dish about 2/3rds.
- In a large bowl, add both boxes of Jiffy cornbread, both eggs, milk, and stir. Add the dollop of sour cream, creamed corn, honey, and stir until well mixed. Pour the cornbread on top of the chilli leaving about an inch of room from the top of the casserole dish.
- NOTE: I used a 9X13 casserole dish and had chili left over as it all was too much to pour in the dish. It was only about 2-3 cups of leftover chili, which was fine with me. But you can also use a 10X15 casserole dish if you have it. I would just add an extra box of Jiffy cornbread, 1 egg, and an extra ½ cup of milk when you make the cornbread mixture. You can leave everything the same. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the cornbread mix, place the casserole dish on top of a baking sheet just case it bakes over, and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the cornbread and it comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly and serve.
- Top off with sour cream, chives, or sliced jalapeno.
- If you prefer a less than sweet cornbread, you can omit the honey and add the diced jalapeno to the mix if you wish. Get creative.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Entree