Make these Cincinnati-Style Chili Cheese Bratwurst with Johnsonville bratwurst and easy Cincinnati Chili topped with finely shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- ½ c. dark kidney beans
- 1.75 oz. Cincinnati style chili flavor
- ⅔ c. water
- 1 package of Johnsonville Bratwurst, uncooked
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Hot Dog buns
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees or prepare your grill according to manufacturing standards.
- In a large pot, heat to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the diced onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and allow to cook until fragrant for about 2-3 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Chop the ground beef as finely as possible using a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Don’t drain the ground beef. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, kidney beans, and chili seasoning and stir. Add the water and stir once more. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender and blend the chili on low for about 1 minute. Just until the chili is less chunky (this is optional). Continue to simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Cover until ready to serve.
- If using the oven, place the bratwurst in a heavy-duty skillet sprayed with non-stick spray. For about 5-7 minutes on both sides. If using a grill, cook on the grill for about the same length of time on both sides. The bratwurst should be browned. Allow cooling slightly.
- Add cooked bratwurst to the hot dog bun, top off with chili, and finely shredded cheddar cheese and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Main