- FOR CUPCAKES
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 oz. high quality milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 c. boiling water
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 c. cake flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 oz. high quality semi sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Line 16 standard muffins cups with paper liners. Combine cocoa powder and chocolate in medium bowl. Pour 1/2 c. boiling water over; whisk until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in another medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat brown sugar, oil, 1/2 c. sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour mixture, alternating with chocolate mixture in 2 additions. Divide batter among paper liners.
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with some crumbs attached, about 15-18 minutes. Cool in pans on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to rack and cool completely.
- FROSTING: Beat butter until creamy. Add in the powdered sugar a cup at a time to avoid mess and add the melted chocolate and continue to mix until the sugar, butter, and chocolate are well combined. Add the chili powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and pinch of salt and mix until spices are mixed. Scoop the frosting into a pipe and design your cupcakes as desired or use a butter knife to spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1