Try this simple tutorial on how to deep fry a turkey for the holidays this year. This recipe will leave you with a delicious, juicy, and crispy fried turkey!
- 20 pound turkey
- 1 1/2 gallon of water
- 1 1/2 c. kosher salt
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tbsp. Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. Onion powder
- 1 tbsp. Black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Peppercorns
- 2 medium onions, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 garlic head, cut in half
- 1 large orange rind
- 2 sprigs sage
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 spring rosemary
- 2 1/2 gallons peanut oil
- In a large pot, add the water, salt, sugar, garlic and onion powder, black pepper, and peppercorns and bring to a slight boil. Once the water has begun to steam, add the onions, garlic, orange rind, and herbs. And allow simmering for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- TIP: Take the herbs and bind them together with a string.
- Remove the turkey from its packaging along with the internal organs. Place inside a large brining bag, which is placed inside a roasting pan to avoid the liquid from spilling.
- Once the brining liquid has cooled, pour over the turkey. Place inside the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to fry, remove from the bag and rinse inside and out. Place back on the roasting pan. Using butcher’s twine, tie the legs together. Pat the bird dry and allow it to sit at room temperature, for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour your oil into the fryer and heat to 300 degrees which can take a while.
- Place the bird in the basket that came along with the fryer. When the oil is ready, slowly lower the basket into the oil. Close the lid of the fryer and cook for about 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Carefully lift out of the oil with the hook and place it on the roaster rack and allow it to rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. Serve as desired.
Be sure to remove the plastics attached to the turkey.
- Prep Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Deep Dry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: deep fried turkey, how to deep fry a turkey, turkey recipes, easy deep fried turkey, how to fry a turkey, deep fried turkey recipe