If you have never made Homemade Fried Chicken before, then you are going to start making it all the time after you try this recipe. This is the best fried chicken recipe you will ever make!
- 8 c. water
- 2 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. Seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp. Spice Islands Black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1/ 2 tbsp. Spice Islands Thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 4 lb. Fryer Chicken
- 1/2 gallon buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce
- 3 c. flour
- 2 tsp. Spice Islands Onion Powder
- 2 tsp. Spice Islands Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp. Seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp. Ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Spice Islands Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Spice Islands Smoked Paprika
- 3 qt. Crisco Pure Canola Oil
- Place the chicken in a large, storage container. Using a large pitcher or bowl, add the salt, seasoned salt, pepper, sugar, and dried thyme and whisk together. Pour the water solution over the chicken.
- Add the garlic cloves, sliced lemon, and sprig of rosemary to the brine. Cover in the lid and refrigerate overnight.
- Before frying, pour out the brine and rinse the chicken thoroughly, removing excess salt. Rinse out the container you used to soak the chicken overnight because you’re going to place the chicken back in there and pour the buttermilk on top. Add the hot sauce and mix with a wooden spoon.
- In a shallow bowl, add the flour, onion and garlic powder, seasoned salt, ground pepper, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. Whisk the flour and seasonings together.
- Begin to heat the Crisco Canola oil in a deep fryer on 350 Degrees. If you do not have a deep fryer, heat the oil in a large pot on the stove to 350 Degrees using a thermometer to check the temperature.
- Shake the excess buttermilk off of the chicken, dredge in the flour and coat well, shake off the excess flour, and place in the deep fryer and cook for 10 minutes until golden brown. Cook the largest chicken together first (i.e., chicken breast and thighs).
- As soon as the chicken is done, use tongs and turn to a sheet with a cooling rack. As soon as the chicken is transferred, sprinkle it with a small amount of more seasoned salt or lemon pepper seasoning (optional). Repeat the process until all chicken is cooked.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Deep Dry
- Cuisine: American