- 1 lb. pound breakfast sausage (chicken, turkey, pork, or beef)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, more for brushing the bread
- 1/2 c. onions, diced
- 1/2 c. shallots, diced
- ciabatta bread, sliced into 4 thick slices
- 2 eggs, fried to your liking
- CHEESE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 c. flour
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. Gruyere Cheese
- 1 c. White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- chives, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and begin to cook the onions and shallots. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until translucent. Remove from skillet once cooked. With the same skillet cook the breakfast sausage until thoroughly cooked, 5-10 minutes. Return the onions and shallots back to the pan and stir to get evenly distributed. Remove from heat.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter on medium heat in a large sauce pan. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour until it becomes a thick paste. If it is slightly clumpy that is okay. Slowly pour in the cream while whisking at the same time. This will smooth out any clumps that may have formed. Now, slowly whisk in the milk and allow to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the cheeses and stir until the cheese melts. This should take anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and allow to simmer while constantly checking to make sure the sauce doesn’t burn. If the sauce is too think add a little milk to thin out if you wish.
- Take the slices of ciabatta bread and brush each side with olive oil and turn to a preheated oven and allow to toast for about 5-7 minutes or to your liking. Remove from oven and place two pieces of the bread on a plate (or one if you prefer). Place the fried egg on top of the bread, pour some of the breakfast sausage on top of the fried egg, pour some of the cheese sauce on top and garnish with green chives.