- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 orange, squeezed and zested
- 1 vanilla bean
- melted butter and sugar for dusting as a finish
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees
- 1. In a food processor, add flour sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and blend briefly. Add butter and pulse to make course, grainy mixture. TIP: If you do not have a food processor you can use a pastry blender or a fork to blend well. Also, use a cheese grater to grate the butter before you add to the dry mixture.
- 2. Turn the mixture to a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the egg to the center and in a tall measuring cup or bowl, add the buttermilk, the scraping of the vanilla bean, grate the zest of half an orange, squeeze the juice from the orange, and whisk well. Interchange by pouring the buttermilk and mixing the mixture with a fork or your hands. Once all the ingredients are blended, the dough should be shaggy.
- 3. Turn out the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8 to 10 times until the mixture is just barely rollable. Pat or roll out to 1 inch thickness and cut into three inch wedges with a cookie cut or pizza cutter. Brush the top with milk or melted butter and dust with sugar.
- Bake until golden for about 12 to 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 12-16