Make this Pot Roast with Gravy recipe that is topped with homemade beef gravy made with pot roast juices. This is the ultimate comfort food dish.
- 3 lb. Chuck Roast
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tsp. Coarse black pepper
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 c. beef stock
- 1 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Garlic power
- 1/4 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Dried thyme
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots
- 5 large red potatoes, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Tomato paste
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4. Tbsp. butter
- 2 c. beef stock
- 1/2 c. beef drippings from roast
- 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325 Degrees.
- Season the chuck roast on both sides with kosher salt and black pepper. Dredge the chuck through the flour to make sure it is coated on both sides. Using a Dutch Oven or heavy-duty pot, place on medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and bring to heat.
- Cook the chuck roast on both sides for 5-7 minutes until browned and crusty on each side. Remove from the pot but leave the drippings and excess oil in the pot. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Place the pot roast back in the middle of the pot.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and celery around the pot roast. In a large measuring cup, combine the beef broth and the tomato paste and whisk together. Pour the beef broth into the pot.
- Add the seasonings, garlic and onion powder, smoked paprika, and dried thyme. Place in the oven and cook the roast for 3 ½ – 4 hours. Once the roast is cooked, allow sitting covered for 15 minutes.
- Making the gravy, in a large saucepan, melt the butter and once the butter is melted, add the flour. Whisk together and the mixture will become very clumpy. Slowly pour in the beef stock and the mixture will become smooth.
- Next, add in some of the beef drippings from the pot roast and stir. Season with garlic and onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow simmering for 10 minutes.
- Use two forks to shred the pot roast into large but edible chunks. Use forks to blend and toss together the beef and celery. Pour over the gravy over the pot roast and mix. You can also pour the gravy over the individual servings of pot roast if desired.
– Serve over mashed potatoes or rice
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pot roast gravy recipe, pot roast with gravy, dutch over pot roast with gravy, gravy with pot roast drippings