Beautifully golden brown Shrimp Hush Puppies that would go well as an appetizer or for your next fish fry!
- • 1 c. yellow cornmeal
- • 3/4 c.
- • 1 tsp. salt
- • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- • 1/2 tsp. paprika
- • 2 tbsp. sugar
- • 1 tsp. onion powder
- • 1 small sweet Vidalia onion, minced
- • 3 stalks celery, minced
- • 1/4 c. chives, minced
- • 7 oz. cooked deveined shrimp
- • 1 c. milk
- • 1 egg
- • Peanut or Canola oil for frying
- • salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the shrimp into small pieces and place on a plate or leave on cutting board. Season with salt and pepper and set aside so the flavor can seep in.
- Meanwhile, add the corm meal, flour, salt, cayenne, paprika, and whisk together. Add the milk and the egg and stir. Now add the onions, celery, chives, and shrimp and stir in with a wooden spoon. The batter should be thick.
- Preheat the oil to 350 degrees. Once the oil is ready, use a mini cookie scooper and scoop some of the
batterin the spoon and into the hot oil. Allow to cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and turn to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Sprinkle with a little seasonedsalt, if you have it. When ready, eat!
- I recommend that you make a Jalapeno Tartar Sauce
to gowith it. Go here to get the recipe!
- Category: Appetiser
- Cuisine: American