Smother Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms and Onion is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a weeknight meal.
- 8 Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. Coarse Black Pepper
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 8 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. white wine
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Garnish: Fresh parsley, chopped
- Season the chicken thighs liberally on both sides with salt and pepper. In alarge heavy duty skillet or Dutch Oven on medium-high heat, add olive oil. Place the skin side of the chicken down first, and cook for 5-7 minutes on both sides until the top of the chicken is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and place on a large plate. Using the rendered fat and oil remaining in the large skillet, add the sliced onions and mushrooms. Saute until softened and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, melt butter in the skillet with the veggies. Once melted, sprinkle with flour and coat the veggies. It will appear clumpy.
- Slowly add the white wine and stir. Add the chicken stock and stir until smooth. Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the fresh thyme, salt and pepper to taste, and cream. Add the chicken to the pan and cover with lid. Allow to cook for 15 minutes on a low simmer.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smothered chicken recipes, mushroom chicken thighs bone-in, smothered chicken with mushrooms and onions, chicken with mushrooms and caramelized onions