This Steak and Egg Huevos Rancheros recipe is the breakfast of champions. Made with a crisp tostada, black beans, steak, eggs, salsa, topped with cilantro and sriracha!
- 4 Tostada shells
- 1 lb. Boneless Strip Steak
- 15 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 whole avocado
- ½ lime
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 eggs
- In a small sauce pot, add the black beans and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer. Using a potato smasher, smash the black beans a few times. Not completely refined, but spreadable. Turn heat to warm and set aside.
- Season the steak liberally on both sides with kosher salt and pepper. In a large heavy metal saute pan on medium high heat, place the steak in the hot pan and allow to cook untouched on one side for 3-5 minutes. Use tongs and flip on the other side for 3-5 minutes. Both sides should be browned and crusted. Remove from heat and place on cutting board. Allow the steak to rest for 5-7 minutes before cutting. Slice into strips and sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper if desired. You should get about 12 slices as I did if you are cutting widthwise.
- In a separate saute pan, on low to medium heat, spray the pan with non stick spray. Add the eggs in the pan to cook, yolk side up, for 5 minutes, longer if you want the egg yolk well done and cover with lid. Remove from pan once cooked to desired consistency on a plate.
- Preheat oven to 250 Degrees. Place the tostadas on a baking sheet and place in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set on plates.
- Remove the avocado from the skin and remove the pit. Slice the avocado and squeeze with lime juice.
- Assemble the Huevos Rancheros by spreading the warm tostada with black beans, place 3-4 pieces of steak on top, add one of the fried eggs, top with pico de gallo or salsa, slices of avocado, and sprinkle with cilantro. For added flavor, add a dash of sriracha.
- Category: Breakfast