Enjoy this moist cake that is topped with sweet and juicy apples and a nutty flavor from the chopped pecans.
- 1 stick of butter, unsalted and at room temperature
- 1 c. granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 c. cake flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. Apple Pie Spice
- 3/4 c. light brown sugar
- 1/4 c. butter
- 2 tbsp. Pecan Praline Ham Glaze
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1/4 c. pecans, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter and sugar and blend well. Next, add the eggs, one at a time.
- Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, and salt in a separate large bowl. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture using a handheld or standing electric mixer while adding a little of the buttermilk a little at a time. Add the vanilla extract and mix. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar starts bubbling. Add Tony Chachere’s Pecan Praline Glaze and stir. Once melted, pour the glaze into the cast iron pan, add the sliced apples, and sprinkle with the chopped pecans.
- Next, pour the cake batter on top of the sliced apples. Place in the oven on top of a baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean and is golden brown. Once the cake has finished baking, allow cooling for about 10-15 minutes. Place a plate on the open side of the pan and flip upside down. Remove skillet and serve as desired. Best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- If you don’t have access to Tony Chachere’s Pecan and Ham Glaze, you can use Bourbon or Whiskey.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: upside down apple cake, upside down apple pecan pie, cast iron apple cake, cast iron upside down cake, upside down cake, apple cake