You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this alternative to Mac-N-Cheese. It is delicious!
- • 14.5 oz. box Barilla whole wheat elbow macaroni
- • 3/4 c. nutritional yeast
- • 2 1/2 c. soy milk
- • 1/8 c. flour
- • 8 oz. bag of Diya Cheddar Cheese
- • 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- • 1/3 c. chives, chopped
- • 1/3 c. bread crumbs
- • 1 tbsp. onion powder
- • 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- • salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and place on medium-high heat. Once the water begins to get hot add a generous amount of salt to the water, pour in the pasta, and cook until al dente.
- In a medium saucer, heat 2 cups of the milk on medium high heat and add the nutritional yeast. Stir for 5 minutes. The milk should just get hot but you don’t want it to reach a boil. Now, whisk in the flour so make sure no clumps form. The mixture should get thick.
- Add the onion and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Go ahead and taste the mixture to make sure its seasoned to your liking. Tastes like cheese a little bit doesn’t it?!
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees
- Once you have drained your noodles, return them back to the pot and place on the counter. Pour in the thick milk mixture in the pot with the noodles. Stir to make sure that every noodle is covered with the mixture. Add the 2 tsp. of butter and about 3/4 bag of Diya Cheese into the mixture. Stir until the cheese melts. Pour the macaroni into a 2 quart casserole dish. Take the other half of soy milk and pour around the edges so the dish doesn’t dry out; Sprinkle with
- breadcrumbs, chives, and the rest of the Diya Cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and serve!
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Vegan/ Side Dish