White Texas Sheet Cake big like the “Heart of Texas”. Moist white cake topped with a rich and fudgy chocolate frosting.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), cubed
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (you can use vanilla extract if you prefer)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cups unsweetened Cocoa powder, Sifted
- 1/2 cups Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- In a large saucepan, bring butter and water just to a boil (fill free to use a cup of milk instead). Once the butter has melted remove it from heat.
- Next, add the flour, sour cream, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla (almond) extract, and eggs and mix with a handheld electric mixer or a standing mixer to combine until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes. The cake will still be somewhat warm.
- For the frosting: In a large saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cocoa. Whisk in the milk. Then stir in the butter and corn syrup. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- When the butter has melted and the sauce is slightly smooth, take the pan off the heat, stir in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Pour the frosting on top of the slightly cooled cake (cool for 5 minutes). It may be a lot of frosting if you are using a 9X13 square rectangle pan( just a precaution). Allow the cake to cool with the frosting to completely set before serving.
I used a 9.5X13 inch rectangle glass dish and baked my cake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. But if you have a traditional jelly roll pan, use the 15X10 pan that the original recipe recommends. If you use the recommended jelly roll pan, your cake will come out a bit thin. I didn’t want a thin cake. But it’s up to you.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: white texas sheet cake recipe, sheet cake recipes,