These Browned Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Bars are filled with chocolate and caramel topped with sea salt. This is an easy dessert bar recipe.
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ½ c. light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ c. flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 11 oz. bag caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tbsp. Heavy cream
- ½ tsp. Coarse sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Line a 9X13 casserole dish with aluminum foil and spray with baking spray.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Once the butter has melted, allow it to continue to boil until a golden amber color occurs and remove from heat. Strain in a fine mesh strainer and place in the refrigerator and allow the butter to congeal.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and brown sugar. Mix together until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time; add the vanilla extract. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula or mixing spoon.
- Place the caramels in a microwave-safe bowl along with the heavy cream. Melt in the microwave checking and stirring every 30 seconds. When the caramels are smooth and creamy, remove from oven.
- Take 2/3rds of the chocolate chip cookie dough and press into the bottom of the baking pan. Pour the melted caramel over the top of the cookie dough. Place dollops of the remaining dough across the top of the caramel. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The edges should be golden brown and a toothpick can be inserted and it will come out clean. Allow to cool and cut into squares.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert