It is always nice to have everything you are craving satisfied into one bite! These Browned Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Bars are very satisfying and are filled with flavors of chocolate, caramel, and a rich nutty flavor from the browned butter!
What is Browned Butter?
The way I describe brown butter is, somewhat, burnt butter. That may or may not be correct, but that is how my brain makes sense out of it. I can see browned butter being one of those ingredients that came about by accident. Like, someone decided to melt butter and completely forgot that it was on the stove and because they didn’t’ have enough money to go back and buy more, they strained it and put it back in the refrigerator to use it again later. Only to discover that browning the butter comes with an awesome flavor. Yep. I can definitely see that happening.
How to make these Browned Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Bars?
The recipe for these Chocolate Chip Bars are very simple and if you bake a lot, predictable. When making these bars, you start off by taking the congealed browned butter and add the sugar and eggs. It’s almost as if you are making a large batter of Chocolate Chip Cookie dough. You’ll take one half of the dough and press it into the pan, pour the melted caramel on top, and add dollops of the remainder of the dough on top of the melted caramel. If you would like, you can sprinkle with sea salt for the sweet and salty effect.
I am telling you that these Browned Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Bars are easy to make and easy to eat. This dessert recipe is made using simple and affordable ingredients. If you like this recipe you will like my S’mores Chocolate Chip Bars.
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ½ c. light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ c. flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 11 oz. bag caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tbsp. Heavy cream
- ½ tsp. Coarse sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Line a 9X13 casserole dish with aluminum foil and spray with baking spray.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Once the butter has melted, allow it to continue to boil until a golden amber color occurs and remove from heat. Strain in a fine mesh strainer and place in the refrigerator and allow the butter to congeal.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and brown sugar. Mix together until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time; add the vanilla extract. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula or mixing spoon.
- Place the caramels in a microwave-safe bowl along with the heavy cream. Melt in the microwave checking and stirring every 30 seconds. When the caramels are smooth and creamy, remove from oven.
- Take ⅔rds of the chocolate chip cookie dough and press into the bottom of the baking pan. Pour the melted caramel over the top of the cookie dough. Place dollops of the remaining dough across the top of the caramel. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The edges should be golden brown and a toothpick can be inserted and it will come out clean. Allow to cool and cut into squares.