As you are browsing my blog, and thank you for that, there are probably some questions that you have that, I am willing to bet, I have been asked before. Please feel free to ask me whatever questions you would like. I am an open book. I have nothing to hide.
1. What do you prefer to be called? Cupcake, Brown Sugar, or Nicole? Brown Sugar is simply the name of the blog. I like brown sugar. It is an awesome ingredient that is very versatile. In fact, ” Brown Sugar” seemed more suitable at the time because I started off as a baking blog. “Cupcake” was a name given to me by a peer that I work with. Before I started blogging I was always making cupcakes. So one day a co-worker came in and said “What’s up Cupcake?” I loved it! I thought it was super cute. I typically don’t answer to Brown Sugar though.
2. What do you do for a living? I am a Marketing Director within Higher Education. I work for a major university that is here in the Cincinnati area and I lead a very small marketing team to fulfill the marketing need of an entire college (its a lot of work). I have been working in this industry for 10 years and I do like what I do, but not as much as cooking and baking all day and talking to you all.
3. What is your favorite thing that you have made? The Strawberry Biscuits with the cream is wonderful! I came up with that on a whim. My Loaded Baked Potato Breakfast Casserole is amazing! Really my breakfast foods are my favorite. I love breakfast. But this changes from time to time.
4. Are you a full-time blogger? No. However, I do put in full-time hours. This blog is my baby. No one else contributes to my blog except me. Therefore, I really enjoy working on my blog as much as I do. I never thought about working as a full-time blogger a day in my life. In fact, I didn’t think such a profession existed. To go a bit further, I didn’t even know bloggers could get paid. Currently, I have a full-time position in higher education as an administrator where I work from home. In any case, I would love to one day be a full-time blogger where the majority of my household income and expenses will be taken care of, but I’m just enjoying reading your comments and challenging myself to create good dishes for you.
5. Where did you learn how to cook? I got it honest from both sides of my family. It just started with me a little late. My earliest memory of cooking was with my grandmother in her kitchen and I remember watching her make homemade biscuits. I thought “This woman is a genius!”. I watched her make fried apples and homemade pancakes all the time. I just didn’t do good at making that stuff until my mid to late twenties. I think years of watching cook I was subconsciously taking tips and it just stuck. The men on my mother’s side of the family can cook and my grandfather on my father’s side can throw down as well!
6. What camera do you use? My first camera was a Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18.0 Megapixel DSLR Camera with an 18-55 mm Lens. I also have a macro lens, Canon EF 50mmf/2.5 Compact Macro Lens, to get those yummy close-ups you guys like so much. But my new baby is a Canon EOS 6D with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens. Before that, I was using my friend’s camera and she has a Nokia D3100 14.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera. Prior to that, I was using a Nikon Digital Camera. I came a long way. I have a post about food photography soon and how to refine that skill. I still have a long way to go but if you are new to the food blogging world, your photos are very important. Good pictures will increase your traffic and make you stand out.
7. What should we know about you? I am goofy, silly, very laid back, and I love to cook. I knew blogging was my future the first time someone I didn’t know sent me a response and told me that they tried a dish of mine and they loved it! That fulfilled me like nothing else in this world. I love to create things that are easy, simple, and comforting for people to try with their friends and families. Also, know that I am always thinking about you and what will make your tummies fat and happy.
8. Can I use your photos for my website? You know, I am laid back and I typically don’t mind as long as the photo is noted that it was taken by me and the traffic is redirected to my site. As long as you can respect that, it will be fine. Please send me an email asking me first.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links.