Fried biscuits, strawberry topping, whipped cream, and ice cream are all the necessary ingredients to make this more affordable recipe I like to call the Po Man’s Strawberry Shortcake.
When I am in the kitchen or in the process of making recipes to share with all of you, the first thing I think of is how I can make sure this is a simple and affordable recipe. I am a working mom and I know what it’s like to make food on a budget. So this strawberry shortcake recipe is no exception.
I took a can of regular biscuits and a can of cinnamon rolls (just for kicks) to see which version of this strawberry shortcake I would like better (you can check out the testing I did on my Instagram highlights). Well, the winner between the two biscuits was the regular biscuit. The cinnamon roll burned a lot faster because of the sugar that was already around the surface. Although we liked the cinnamon touch to it, the regular one was just better. Sometimes less is more.
Why call this recipe the ‘Po Man’s Strawberry Shortcake Recipe’
Growing up Strawberry Shortcake was made with strawberry preserves on top of a random piece of cake. It wasn’t until I got much older where I had a real shortcake. It’s not that making a real shortcake costs a lot of money. I mean, flour, butter, buttermilk, whipped topping, and strawberries can be relatively inexpensive, but it can be time-consuming. I did not grow up with a picture-perfect family and at one point my mom worked two jobs with four kids. So making hardly anything from scratch rarely happened. So if she wanted to give her kids a dessert, it was something that came in a package of some sort, or she can just put together and place in a bowl.
This recipe is something she would have definitely made us as kids. It’s nothing to fry up some biscuits, but some ice cream and strawberry topping on top. That is where the name of the recipe came from ( no disrespect). This is definitely one of my current favorite recipes. The crunch of the biscuit after it has been fried and the contrast of the warmth of the biscuit and the coolness of ice cream is super comforting and delicious.
This dessert is relatively cheap to make and will be something you’ll want to make each year despite what’s in your bank account.Print
Po Man’s Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Total Time: 12 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
This “Po Man’s Strawberry Shortcake Recipe is made using a fried biscuit tossed in sugar, topped with strawberry topping, whipped cream, and vanilla ice cream.
- 1 can 8 count large biscuits
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 11 oz jar of strawberry topping
- 8 oz. whipped topping
- 1 ½ c. fresh strawberries, diced
- Vanilla ice cream
- Using a deep fryer, fill halfway with vegetable oil and heat on 350 Degrees.
- Place a paper towel on a cooling rack and set aside. Also, add sugar to a bowl and set aside.
- Open the can of biscuits. Begin to flatten the biscuits, slightly, while extending the circumference of the biscuit an extra ¼ inch.
- Place the biscuit in the hot oil and cook on both sides for about 3 minutes. Toss on both sides until cooked to avoid from getting too dark. Remove from oil and place on a lined cooling rack for about 2 minutes. Afterward, toss in sugar and set aside.
- NOTE: If you happen to cut open the biscuit and the dough is not cooked, place back in the fryer for an extra minute and toss in sugar accordingly.
- Once the biscuit is cooked and coated, place in a bowl and top with a tablespoon of strawberry topping, add a scoop of ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, and a tablespoon of fresh strawberries and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply