Strawberry Shortcakes are the staple dessert for the summer. Made with large fluffy and buttery biscuits and layered with creamy whipped topping and sweetened strawberries this is a recipe everyone will love and look forward to every summer!
I am definitely a seasonal eater. There are some dishes and recipes that I appreciate throughout the year, but there are others that I look forward to depending on the season. Strawberry Shortcake is definitely one of those dishes that I must have, at least, once in a summer. Not only is it a super simple summer dessert, but it’s one of the key players when it comes to making a summer, a summer.
How to make Strawberry Shortcake from scratch
You know, I know when it comes to making dishes from scratch, especially baked goods, it can seem intimidating to most. I understand. I used to be one of those people who was intimidated. But this dessert recipe is pretty “made from scratch” friendly. To make the biscuits, I used the biscuit recipe that can be found in my Chicken Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich recipe on my blog. Instead of making them standard biscuit size, I made them larger to where the recipe will serve four people.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
Made with large fluffy and buttery biscuits and layered with creamy whipped topping and sweetened strawberries this Strawberry Shortcake ecipe everyone will love and look forward to every summer!
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ c. shortening, cold
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted butter, cold
- 1 c. buttermilk, cold
- 2 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. Raw cane sugar
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 pint of strawberries
- 1 ½ tbsp. Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 oz. Extra Creamy Whipped Topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees. Butter a heavy metal dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda and whisk together. Cut the shortening and butter up into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or fork and mix the fat with the flour well until well blended.
- Pour the cold buttermilk in the middle of the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon and stir in well with the flour. The dough will be wet and sticky. Turn to a floured surface and knead a few times until the dough is smooth.
- Roll the dough out until about 1 inch thick. We want thick and large biscuits. Use a large biscuit cutter, about 1 1/2 – 2 inches wide and cut into four large biscuits. Place the biscuits in the heavy metal dish and brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with the raw cane sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. The tops should be slightly golden.
- Meanwhile, cut the strawberries into half or fourths. Add to a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar and add a pinch of salt. Stir and set the strawberries aside at room temperature for, at least, 30 minutes.
- Add the four tablespoons of butter and honey into a small bowl and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Once the biscuits have baked, brush with the melted butter mixture to cool at room temperature.
- Cut the biscuit in half and layer with strawberries and some of the syrup and top with the whipped topping. Place the top of the biscuit on top of cream and strawberries and serve.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply