This cookie recipe will give you the best homemade Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies. These cookies are filled with three different types of chocolate chips, soft and chewy, and are extremely addictive.
I have a serious addiction and that is to Chocolate Chip Cookies. I can’t count how many times I’ve made this recipe (I’m sure I’m close to 100). These cookies always come out perfect every single time. In fact, my husband always says they are “too perfect” for him. He prefers a more crisp and browned cookie. Not me! I want them soft and chewy and filled with a ton of chocolate chips.
What makes these cookies “Bakery Style” is the thickness. These cookies are seriously thick and almost packed with four cups of chocolate chips (almost). I want every bit of these cookies filled with chocolate. I was inspired to make these cookies when I had Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies from a local bakery here in Cincinnati called Donna’s Gourmet Cookies. Those cookies are as thick as hockey pucks but they are extremely soft and chewy. But you could probably split one cookie with someone and be just as fulfilled.
After I had one of her cookies, I wanted to get in my kitchen and figure out how to make these cookies for myself. I must’ve tried about 3-4 renditions of this chocolate chip cookie recipe before I landed on this one. It’s perfect! There are a few secrets that will make these cookies thick and bakery shop quality.
Tips for making the best Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- One secret ingredient that I use to make these cookies is corn starch. In my uneducated opinion, just based on observation, adding cornstarch to this cookie recipe made the cookies hold better and decreased the amount of spreading that occurred. This allowed the cookies to be perfectly tall, round, and thicker than not adding the cornstarch.
- When making cookies, it is best that you chill the dough. This also makes these cookies come out thick, soft, and chewy, and perfect every time. However, in this recipe, you don’t have to do that if you are a bit too anxious. I always am so I hardly do. They will still be amazing if you don’t chill the dough. But if you are aiming for near perfection, chill the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 11 minutes, nothing more nothing less. I know this seems like a weird number but trust me on this one, 11 minutes is the golden number to creating these perfect chocolate chip cookies. If you are chilling the dough, 13 minutes.
Overall, you can make some of the best homemade chocolate chip cookies right in your own kitchen. All you need is some simple baking ingredients and a little love and you will be completely satisfied.
Commonly Asked Questions
I have found if you chill the dough for, at least, an hour that works best for making amazing cookies, but some bakers would say chill overnight. I would say no less than an hour, no more than overnight. You don’t have to chill at all, but for best results it is recommended.
In my experience, it is all about the baking time (11 minutes) and chilling the dough. Chilling the dough not only can make the cookies taste better, but it also makes the cookies softer, chewier, and taller. That along with using cornstarch.
How do you keep chocolate chip cookies soft?
My grandmother used to tell me to put a piece of white bread in the cookie jar and the yeast in the bread helps to keep the cookies soft. But I have also read that some people put apple slices and potato chips in their cookie jars and that helps. I have not tried those methods myself but if you do and they work, let me know.
More Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes
If you are a chocolate chip cookie fanatic, check out these recipes!
Kitchen items you might need
Cookie Baking Sheet
Kitchen Aid Mixer
Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Total Time: 1 hour 23 mins
- Yield: 30 1x
These Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies tastes like they were made in a bakery! These thick cookies will make you feel like a kid again.
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. Jumbo semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. milk chocolate chips
- ¼ c. mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees and line a baking sheet or spray a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large baking bowl, cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the flour until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips until well mixed. Chill in the fridge for, at least, an hour or up to overnight.
4. Take 2 heaping tablespoons of cookie dough mix and form into balls (about the size of a ping pong) and space on the baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake for 13 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and turn to a cooling rack. Repeat until all cookie dough has baked.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply