This Caramel Apple Cake Recipe is full of fall flavor from Honeycrisp apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and covered with an amazing caramel frosting!
- 1 ½ c. unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks butter)
- 3 c. sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 c. cake flour
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 ¼ tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 c. sour cream, room temperature
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 3 Honeycrisp apples, grated and pressed
- FOR ICING
- 2 c. sugar
- ¼ c. water
- 2 tbsp. Light corn syrup
- ½ c. cold butter, cubed (1 stick)
- 1 c. hot heavy whipping cream
- 1 c. butter softened ( 2 sticks butter)
- 6 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Spray and line 3 9 inch round cake pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Grate the Honeycrisp apples to the cord of the apple. Press the juice out of the grated apples and set aside. Drink the apple juice!
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sticks of butter and blend with mixer. Add the sugar and blend. Add the eggs one at a time mixing each egg in the batter. Add the cake flour, all purpose flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt and mix well. Add the sour cream and salt and mix. Fold in the grated apple into the cake batter.
- Divide the cake batter among the three cake pans and smooth the top of the cakes and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean. Once the cake has baked, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and then turn to a cooling rack so the cakes can cool completely. Once the cakes has cooled, begin to frost your cake.
- FOR ICING
- In a large heavy bottom sauce pan, pour in the 2 cups of sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and ¼ cup of water and corn syrup. Pour over the sugar in the pan. Stir until the sugar is moistened. Cook without stirring over medium high heat Once you notice the mixture turning a golden color, about 10 minutes, then stir. While the caramel is cooking, be sure to use a wet pastry brush and brush down the sugar crystals on the side of the pan.
- Using a long wooden spoon, carefully add the cold butter and stir until melted (mixture will foam). Next add the hot cream and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add the caramel in a mixing bowl along with the two sticks of butter and mix together. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue mixing until well mixed. Add the pinch of salt and mix.
- Take one layer of the cake and place on the cake stand, spread some of the caramel icing on top of the first layer of the cake; add another layer on top of the bottom cake and add some of the caramel icing on top of the cake; and finally add the other cake on top and spread more icing on top allowing the icing to fall to the sides and spread the icing along the side of the cake spreading and designing as desired. Serve as desired.
- Category: Dessert