Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes made with actual caramel popcorn makes for a delicious, buttery, and sweet cupcake that will blow your mind!
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 1 tsp. of butter extract
- 1 cup of caramel popcorn (chopped)
- 2 dollops of sour cream
- Ingredients for Butter cream Icing
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 6 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream (milk will do if you do not have the cream)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (you can use clear vanilla extract)
- 1 tsp. butter extract (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree: Line your muffin tins with your cupcake paper
- Combine your flours in a bowl and set aside. Cream butter until smooth and gradually add the sugar until fluffy. This should take about 3 minutes.Add the eggs one at a time. Make sure that each egg is well beaten into the batter before adding the next.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and extracts. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are blended but do not over beat. Insert 2 dollops of sour cream for moistness’. Stir with rubber spatula.
- Add your chopped caramel popcorn in the batter and stir with a rubber spatula until you see that it is well incorporated into the batter.Spoon the batter in the cupcake liners making them about 3/4 full. You can use an ice cream scoop for this.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. I usually check at 20 minutes to see if they are done. I don’t like my cupcakes too brown or done. I like to catch my cupcakes right when they are done. They stay moist that way and when they are too done, they can become dry. Cool the cupcakes by placing them on a cooling rack.
- Instructions for Icing: Place the butter in a mixing bowl and add about 4 cups of the powdered sugar first and slowly mix in the whipping cream in small amounts. Interchangeably, add in the powdered sugar and a bit of the whipping cream until it is to the consistency of your liking. You might not need all the sugar and the icing should be thick.
- For an added effect you can add food coloring, and sprinkle chopped caramel popcorn on top or whole pieces as a garnish. I also garnished with caramel sauce. You can make it yourself or buy the sauce at your local grocery store.
- Category: Dessert