Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes
So for some reason, I was thinking about the circus and the different flavors and aromas that fill the air. So I thought, why not make, popcorn cupcakes! Think about it, if you are a sweet and salty person this would absolutely be perfect! So I had to think about how I would get that popcorn flavor infused throughout the entire cupcake. Now I didn’t try this, but there is an actual white popcorn flour that you can buy online that is used for making popcorn cupcakes and various other dishes. Or you can also place plain white popcorn in a food processor and grind it up until it becomes flour. After that, you are on your own. White popcorn flour is good for those who do not prefer to use wheat flour. It is just a different alternative.
Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes are my second recipe! I’m so excited!
For my Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes, I did not use the popcorn flour. Did you know that there was a such thing as popcorn flour? I didn’t. Apparently you can make it as well. All you have to do is take a bunch of popcorn and pulse it in a food processor until it becomes flour. For some reason, I didn’t trust it. I would rather buy it and then use it. I think that is what I will do the next time I decide to make these. Have you ever had cupcakes from Magnolia bakery in New York City? I haven’t either but I have their recipe. I love these cupcakes, but added my spin on it. I hope you enjoy them!
Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes made with actual caramel popcorn makes for a delicious, buttery, and sweet cupcake that will blow your mind!
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 1 tsp. of butter extract
- 1 cup of caramel popcorn (chopped)
- 2 dollops of sour cream
- Ingredients for Butter cream Icing
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 6 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream (milk will do if you do not have the cream)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (you can use clear vanilla extract)
- 1 tsp. butter extract (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree: Line your muffin tins with your cupcake paper
- Combine your flours in a bowl and set aside. Cream butter until smooth and gradually add the sugar until fluffy. This should take about 3 minutes.Add the eggs one at a time. Make sure that each egg is well beaten into the batter before adding the next.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and extracts. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are blended but do not over beat. Insert 2 dollops of sour cream for moistness’. Stir with rubber spatula.
- Add your chopped caramel popcorn in the batter and stir with a rubber spatula until you see that it is well incorporated into the batter.Spoon the batter in the cupcake liners making them about 3/4 full. You can use an ice cream scoop for this.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. I usually check at 20 minutes to see if they are done. I don’t like my cupcakes too brown or done. I like to catch my cupcakes right when they are done. They stay moist that way and when they are too done, they can become dry. Cool the cupcakes by placing them on a cooling rack.
- Instructions for Icing: Place the butter in a mixing bowl and add about 4 cups of the powdered sugar first and slowly mix in the whipping cream in small amounts. Interchangeably, add in the powdered sugar and a bit of the whipping cream until it is to the consistency of your liking. You might not need all the sugar and the icing should be thick.
- For an added effect you can add food coloring, and sprinkle chopped caramel popcorn on top or whole pieces as a garnish. I also garnished with caramel sauce. You can make it yourself or buy the sauce at your local grocery store.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply