Make this easy Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole for dinner tonight! This Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole will “wow” your family!
- 4 1/2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 4 c. sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tbsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 c. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 c. Ketchup
- 1/3 c. dill pickles, diced
- 2 lb. tater tots (slightly unthawed)
- 1/3 c. diced tomatoes
- chives, garnish
- NOTE: I suggest buying 2 8 oz. blocks of sharp cheddar cheese and grate them yourself because the melting quality is better.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat and add the chopped onion and green bell pepper. Allow the onion and bell pepper to cook for 3-5 minutes until they become translucent. In the same pot, add the ground beef. Mix the beef into the onion and pepper while breaking up the ground beef. Allow the beef to cook for 10-15 minutes or until completely cooked.
- Drain the beef removing access fat and return the beef back to the pot. Season with the salt, pepper, onion powder, Worcestershire Sauce, and ketchup. Mix the seasoning well into the beef. Now, add the pickles and stir. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan on low to medium heat melt the butter. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour. Once you have whisked in the flour it will appear lumpy. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking removing the lumps. Once the milk has been added and it begins to steam add 2 cups of the sharp cheddar cheese. Constantly stir until the cheese has fully melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a rectangular 9X13 casserole pan, pour in the beef mixture spreading evenly in the dish. Add the tater tots lining them in rows on top of the beef. Next, pour the cheese sauce over the tater tots. Sprinkle the diced tomatoes on top of the tater tots and sprinkle the last 2 cups of cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow the casserole to cool before serving.
- Category: Dinner