Oh my! Look at all that cheese on that Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole!
This Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is everything!
So, I was thinking that I should really make a yummy Tater Tot Casserole. Ya see, I am not really big on casseroles because they typically are dense, loaded with calories, and has a lot of cheese (Says the one with lactose intolerance). “So why did I make this casserole?”
Well, if you have followed my blog for a while and have read the majority of my blog posts, you will know that I am a strong believer in living and enjoying life. Sometimes you just have to say screw the calories and go for it. You know what I mean? You have to learn to honor your body by eating healthy, exercising, and feeding yourself spiritually, sure. Although I try to do all of those things consistently, I do give my body a break from all the hard work I put it through. So believe me, I do not regret making this casserole anymore than I regret eating it. It was so the bomb! I promise you are going to love it too!
Why wouldn’t casseroles be a good choice to feed a full family? In my household, there are only two people. Therefore, it doesn’t make much sense for me to make casseroles that often because they, more than likely, go to waste. HOOOOWEVER, that did not happen in this case. This casserole recipe did not make it in this house. It was surprisingly and amazingly super delicious!
- 4½ tbsp. butter
- ¼ c. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 4 c. sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ tbsp. salt
- ½ tbsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- ⅛ c. Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ c. Ketchup
- ⅓ c. dill pickles, diced
- 2 lb. tater tots (slightly unthawed)
- ⅓ c. diced tomatoes
- chives, garnish
- NOTE: I suggest buying 2 8 oz. blocks of sharp cheddar cheese and grate them yourself because the melting quality is better.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat and add the chopped onion and green bell pepper. Allow the onion and bell pepper to cook for 3-5 minutes until they become translucent. In the same pot, add the ground beef. Mix the beef into the onion and pepper while breaking up the ground beef. Allow the beef to cook for 10-15 minutes or until completely cooked.
- Drain the beef removing access fat and return the beef back to the pot. Season with the salt, pepper, onion powder, Worcestershire Sauce, and ketchup. Mix the seasoning well into the beef. Now, add the pickles and stir. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan on low to medium heat melt the butter. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour. Once you have whisked in the flour it will appear lumpy. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking removing the lumps. Once the milk has been added and it begins to steam add 2 cups of the sharp cheddar cheese. Constantly stir until the cheese has fully melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a rectangular 9X13 casserole pan, pour in the beef mixture spreading evenly in the dish. Add the tater tots lining them in rows on top of the beef. Next, pour the cheese sauce over the tater tots. Sprinkle the diced tomatoes on top of the tater tots and sprinkle the last 2 cups of cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow the casserole to cool before serving.