White Castle burgers are a beloved fast food classic, known for their small, square shape and delicious taste. But what if you don’t live near a White Castle location? Never fear because you can make a copycat version at home!
I have loved White Castle since I was a kid! If we had the option of choosing a fast-food restaurant, I would always vote for White Castle. Yep, even before Mcdonald’s. I am not quite sure what it is about White Castle burgers because they aren’t fancy, or extravagant and don’t meet the crazy criteria for most culinary enthusiasts. But it’s White Castle, and it’s the bomb!
How to make these Copycat White Castle Sliders
I should point out I tried a White Castle burger when I made this recipe to get the flavoring as close as possible. Do you know what I found? It isn’t that hard! The White Castle burger is a small, square patty cooked on a griddle and served on a small, square bun. The burgers are topped with a pickle, diced onions, and a small square of American cheese.
I don’t make the burger patty on the griddle in my recipe. I form the ground beef into a thin rectangle and cook it in the oven. This way, I can make the burgers into perfect squares. But you don’t have to do it this way. You can cook the burgers on a griddle if you would like.
The best part of the burgers is the tiny chopped onions. After doing some research, I found out that the onions are typically steamed, which is probably why the onion flavor isn’t so strong. I started off by sauteeing the onions in olive oil. Then, I added a touch of water so they could simmer the rest of the way. The onions were soft, just like White Castle. In my copycat recipe, I take the same approach to the onions, adding dill pickle slices, sliced American Cheese Slices, or Sharp Cheddar Cheese slices, and brush the bun tops with a little melted butter.
You wonder if they taste like those miniature burgers of awesomeness. To be honest, this Copycat White Castle Burgers recipe is as close as it gets. I kept it simple for flavoring and used onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce. I think it got pretty darn close to that traditional White Castle flavor. However, you can also use Lipton Onion Soup Mix to the ground beef mixture.
Commonly Asked Questions
Yes! In this recipe, I cook the ground beef in the oven before adding them to the burger rolls. This made it easy for me to have the burgers cut into perfect squares.
Is there a specific type of bun I should use?
I used Hawaiian rolls to get as close to the White Castle burgers as possible. You can use regular slider buns if that is easier for you.
If you like this copycat recipe, you will like the ones below!
- Spanish Rice Crunchwrap Supreme
- Homemade Chalupas
- Philly Cheese Steak Sliders
- Easy Breakfast Sandwiches
Copycat White Castle Burgers Recipe
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
Enjoy this Copycat White Castle Burgers recipe that gets pretty close to the flavor of White Castle burgers. Made with minced onions and dill hamburger pickles. I am sure you will love these White Castle sliders!
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 9–12 Soft Dinner Rolls, warmed and sliced
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- Dill pickle chips
- 2 tbsp. Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Take a 17X11 baking sheet pan and line it with parchment paper.
- The meat mixture should begin to lose its original streaks. Next, add the onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce. Mix into the beef well. Turn the beef onto the baking sheet and begin to press the beef evenly across the baking sheet. The beef will be spread thin.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, using a medium saute pan on medium heat, warm the pan and the olive oil. Add the minced onions and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add the water and turn down the heat to low, and allow to cook until the water has evaporated and been removed from the heat.
- Once the beef is finished baking, drain the excess fat. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife and cut the beef into squares. Place a burger square in the dinner rolls and sprinkle with a teaspoon of minced onions and dill hamburger pickles. Add a slice of cheese if desired. Brush the tops of the burgers with melted butter.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white castle burgers, white castle sliders, copycat white castle sliders, white castle recipe, krystal burger recipe,
Leave a Reply