This Cheesy Queso Taco Skillet Casserole is the perfect dinner recipe that your family will love. This dish is made with ground beef, queso cheese, diced tomatoes, and diced green onion.
I am a working mom so Monday-Friday I need to make something that is pretty quick. I do have a routine and a system set up now where I pick up 2 meal kits from Hello Chef at Kroger, I make one crockpot meal or something that serves for enough leftovers, and we do take out once a week. However, my weeks don’t always run that smooth and I do have to actually get in the kitchen and cook a meal for my husband and I. Oh, and our very picky toddler son.
This is one of my favorite skillet dishes that I’ve ever come up with because it is quick, easy, and delicious. I have made this Cheesy Queso Taco Skillet Casserole a few times before I decided to post the recipe. I remember coming home to some ground beef and a few random ingredients. I threw them in a skillet and I made dinner. Initially, I didn’t want to use the queso cheese sauce that I ended up using but I am so glad I did because it is amazing! I think I was going to use enchilada sauce or tomato sauce initially. My husband and I “bashed” this dish and it is the perfect dinner recipe to make when you just need a quick meal.
How I made this Cheesy Queso Taco Skillet Casserole
Honestly, this recipe is hella easy. All you do is cook your pasta and set it to the side; Cook your ground beef and drain the excess fat; and throw your pasta, beef, cheese, diced tomatoes, and green chilies (if you want) in a large skillet pan and you’re done! This is the perfect meal for a busy family like mine. What I also love about this casserole dish is you can really add whatever you want to this meal. You can throw in some black beans, avocado, jalapeno, and even top it off with corn chips! I have made this dish several ways and they all have come out delicious.
This is also a great freezer meal too. I have an entire pan of this Cheesy Queso Taco Skillet to a near and dear family friend of mine and she made several portions out of this casserole and put it in her freezer and the dish turned out great every time!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 oz. taco seasoning
- ½ c. onions, diced
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1 lb. Penne Pasta
- 15.5 oz. queso cheese sauce
- 10 oz. diced tomatoes and chilies
- ½ c. green onion, diced
- Fill a large pot with water and add a couple teaspoons of salt. Bring to a slight steam/ boil and add the penne pasta and cook completely. Drain and set the pasta to the side.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, cook the ground beef and onions together until browned. Add the garlic and stir and allow to cook for an addition 2 minutes, just until the garlic is fragrant. Drain the excess fat and return to the skillet and the pasta. Toss the beef and pasta together until evenly distributed.
- Add the cheese sauce, diced tomatoes, and stir evenly. This is also an opportunity for you to add black beans if you wish. Just make sure you rinse and drain the beans. Cover with lid and cook on low to medium heat for 15 minutes. Top off with green onions and serve.