This Chicken Fajita Pasta Skillet dish is the perfect dinner recipe that is perfect for a family!
Not too long ago, I made a Cheesy Queso Taco Casserole dish that has gone completely crazy on Pinterest. I am not sure if anyone has tried it yet, but I think there are a lot of people out there that plans on it. I figure I don’t have a lot of easy dinner recipes on my website and I need to make that a focus. So, because people seemed to really like that dish, I thought I’d made a dish that is within that same vein. Without further ado, I introduce to you guys my Chicken Fajita Pasta Skillet recipe (and the crowd goes wild)!
I am a fan of fajitas. In fact, I have an Easy Beef Fajita recipe on my blog that I make from time to time. I think fajitas are one of those dishes that you can’t mess up, can be manipulated to be healthy or unhealthy, and is downright delicious with the right amount of seasonings. My favorite part of fajitas are the warm flour tortillas. Now those babies are what makes fajita on the more unhealthy side. That is if you care about that sort of thing. Flour, that is. You can use lettuce for the wrap if you are looking for a low carb option.
How to make Chicken Fajita Pasta Skillet
To make this dish is quite simple. You are going to start off by cooking your chicken tenderloins on both sides. But don’t forget to season them with taco seasoning. You can use the taco seasoning that you buy at the store or you can make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning. It is up to you. Cook them on both sides. Remove from the pan. Be sure to use a large shallow saute pan like this one to cook this dish. I swear by this pan.
Leaving the oil and drippings in the pan, you are going to cook all of your peppers and onions. Here is a tip, you can buy a 12-ounce bag of already cut peppers and onions that’s typically in your freezer section. If you are a busy working parent like me, this may be a good option for you to cut down on time. Just make sure the veggies are thawed. Once you have cooked the peppers, you’re going to now add the chicken and pasta in your large pan. Toss everything so it is well distributed. I forgot to mention that you need to cook your pasta. But, I do think I’ve seen cooked pasta before in the freezer section. I’m telling you, the freezer section is your friend. Don’t sleep on the frozen veggies and pasta.
Make your cheese sauce which is quite simple. Start off by making a roux (flour and butter mixture), add the milk, and let it come to steam. Add your cheese and stir until it begins to melt. Once it melts and is smooth, add your seasonings to give the sauce some flavor. Pour it in with the rest of the party along with the diced tomatoes, cover and let simmer for a bit, and garnish with some fresh cilantro. That’s it!
You cannot go wrong with this Chicken Fajita Pasta Skillet dish. Make a delicious salad to go with it and you have a full meal that you can feed your family! This also freezes well!Print
Chicken Fajita Pasta Skillet
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
Enjoy this Chicken Fajita Pasta Skillet recipe made with peppers, onions, chicken, penne pasta, and a delicious cheese sauce!
- 1 lb. Penne Pasta, cooked
- 15 Chicken Tenderloin
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 small orange pepper, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 10 oz. diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 4 tbsp. Flour
- 2 c. milk
- 4 oz. Monterey Cheese, cubed
- 3 oz. Smoked Cheddar Cheese, cubed
- 2 tbsp. Taco seasoning
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- ¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. Chili powder
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: chopped cilantro
- In a large shallow saute skillet on medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Season the chicken tenderloins on both sides with taco seasoning. Cook on both sides for 3-4 minutes until golden on both sides. Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Using the same and without removing the oil in the pan, add the peppers and onions. Cook until softened and slightly wilted, about 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the chicken tenders into smaller pieces to preference.
- While the peppers and onions are cooking, start making your cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour and stir until it becomes pasty. Slowly pour in the milk making sure to eliminate clumps. Allow to come to steam and the milk mixture will thicken. Stir to make sure the milk doesn’t stick to the pan. Add the cheeses and stir to melt. Stir until smooth.
- Add the seasonings and spices to the cheese sauce, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow simmering for 3 minutes.
- In the large saute skillet, add the chicken, pasta, and diced tomatoes in with the peppers and onions. Toss until all ingredients are well distributed. Pour in the cheese sauce and stir to coat the ingredients. Cover with lid and let simmer for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Entree
Leave a Reply