Enjoy this Chicken Fajita Pasta Skillet recipe made with peppers, onions, chicken, penne pasta, and a delicious cheese sauce!
- 1 lb. Penne Pasta, cooked
- 15 Chicken Tenderloin
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 small orange pepper, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 10 oz. diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 4 tbsp. Flour
- 2 c. milk
- 4 oz. Monterey Cheese, cubed
- 3 oz. Smoked Cheddar Cheese, cubed
- 2 tbsp. Taco seasoning
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- ¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. Chili powder
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: chopped cilantro
- In a large shallow saute skillet on medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Season the chicken tenderloins on both sides with taco seasoning. Cook on both sides for 3-4 minutes until golden on both sides. Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Using the same and without removing the oil in the pan, add the peppers and onions. Cook until softened and slightly wilted, about 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the chicken tenders into smaller pieces to preference.
- While the peppers and onions are cooking, start making your cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour and stir until it becomes pasty. Slowly pour in the milk making sure to eliminate clumps. Allow to come to steam and the milk mixture will thicken. Stir to make sure the milk doesn’t stick to the pan. Add the cheeses and stir to melt. Stir until smooth.
- Add the seasonings and spices to the cheese sauce, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow simmering for 3 minutes.
- In the large saute skillet, add the chicken, pasta, and diced tomatoes in with the peppers and onions. Toss until all ingredients are well distributed. Pour in the cheese sauce and stir to coat the ingredients. Cover with lid and let simmer for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
- Category: Entree