Cinnamon Chip Scones will have your entire house smelling like cinnamon and winter. Instead of waking your family up with coffee, bake these scones, and they will come running.
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 package (10 ounces) of cinnamon baking chips or 2 cups of DIY cinnamon chips
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 5 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- CINNAMON CHIPS
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 3 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees
- Mix the dry ingredients (i.e., flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt) in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and blend into the flour mixture using a fork or a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the buttermilk and mix with the rest of the dry ingredients until everything is moist. Fold in the cinnamon chips to ensure that they are evenly distributed.
- FOR THE CHIPS. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, shortening, and corn syrup in a bowl and stir until all is well combined. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Spread the mixture onto a well-greased baking sheet lined with parchment paper into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Turn to a lightly floured surface (it will look crumbly, but that is okay) and knead the dough until it is no longer crumbly. This should take 10-12 times.
- Roll the dough into a 10-inch circle about 1/2 inch thick and cut it into triangles. Place on well-greased or well-sprayed baking sheets and brush the tops with butter. Bake scones for 10-13 minutes. Once finished baking, place them on a cooling rack to allow them to cool before dipping them into the glaze.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Mix the powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt until a smooth glaze forms. Take the cooled scones and dip into the glaze and place them back on the baking sheet. Repeat this process until all scones are covered.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the mixture is hot and melted together. You don’t have the chips to be crisp. Let cool completely. Use a pizza well or sharp knife to cut into desired pieces; store in an air-tight container until you are ready to use them.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: cinnamon scones, cinnamon chip scones, cinnamon chip scones recipe, homemade cinnamon chips, cinnamon scones with cinnamon chips, cinnamon chip scones recipe