These Cinnamon Chip Scones are crisp on the outside and moist and full of cinnamon flavor on the inside. The scones are made perfectly with a simple glaze and are the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch gathering.
Many of you are not really into scones because they can taste like a dry biscuit. I used to think the same thing. I can’t recall the first scone I had, but I remember thinking they weren’t as bad as I thought. Sure they look dry and stale, but they taste wonderful. So I thought of some delicious scone flavors to try, and cinnamon was the first thing that came to mind.
Cinnamon Chips are a rare baking ingredient that I have only seen around the fall and winter seasons. When you see them, I recommend buying a few bags that you can use for various baking recipes. Otherwise, there is a way that you can make homemade cinnamon chips as a replacement.
How to make Homemade Cinnamon Chips
Making homemade cinnamon chips is quite simple. All you need are a few simple ingredients:
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vegetable Shortening
- Light Corn Syrup
All you are going to do is combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until all of the ingredients are combined. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place in a preheated oven to 200 Degrees, and bake for 35 minutes.
Once finished, you will allow the chips to cool completely at room temperature. The cinnamon chip sheet will become hard. Finally, use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut into small chips.
When you wake up and decide to make this scone recipe for breakfast, you will thank me because your home will smell like one big Cinnamon Chip Yankee Candle.
DIY Cinnamon Chips recipe is adapted from Bright Eyed Baker
Commonly Asked Questions
Yes! You can make the dough, cut the scones into triangles, place them on a baking sheet and freeze them for about an hour. Then you can place them in a freezer storage bag for future use.
Yes! You can use chocolate chips, butterscotch, or even blueberries!
I found them in the grocery store, but you can buy them all year long on Amazon.
If you like recipes like these cinnamon scones, you will like the following recipes below:
- Buttermilk Scones
- Strawberry White Chocolate Scones
- Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Scones
- Caramel Apple Scones
Cinnamon Chip Scones
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
Cinnamon Chip Scones will have your entire house smelling like cinnamon and winter. Instead of waking your family up with coffee, bake these scones, and they will come running.
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 package (10 ounces) of cinnamon baking chips or 2 cups of DIY cinnamon chips
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 5 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- CINNAMON CHIPS
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 3 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees
- Mix the dry ingredients (i.e., flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt) in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and blend into the flour mixture using a fork or a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the buttermilk and mix with the rest of the dry ingredients until everything is moist. Fold in the cinnamon chips to ensure that they are evenly distributed.
- FOR THE CHIPS. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, shortening, and corn syrup in a bowl and stir until all is well combined. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Spread the mixture onto a well-greased baking sheet lined with parchment paper into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Turn to a lightly floured surface (it will look crumbly, but that is okay) and knead the dough until it is no longer crumbly. This should take 10-12 times.
- Roll the dough into a 10-inch circle about 1/2 inch thick and cut it into triangles. Place on well-greased or well-sprayed baking sheets and brush the tops with butter. Bake scones for 10-13 minutes. Once finished baking, place them on a cooling rack to allow them to cool before dipping them into the glaze.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Mix the powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt until a smooth glaze forms. Take the cooled scones and dip into the glaze and place them back on the baking sheet. Repeat this process until all scones are covered.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the mixture is hot and melted together. You don’t have the chips to be crisp. Let cool completely. Use a pizza well or sharp knife to cut into desired pieces; store in an air-tight container until you are ready to use them.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: cinnamon scones, cinnamon chip scones, cinnamon chip scones recipe, homemade cinnamon chips, cinnamon scones with cinnamon chips, cinnamon chip scones recipe
Leave a Reply