Try making your pulled pork in a Dutch oven for even cooking! Make this Dutch oven Pulled Pork recipe and top with BBQ sauce and coleslaw!
- 8 lb. Pork Shoulder Butt
- 1 lb. Smoked Bacon, diced
- 1/2 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. Seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp. Coarse pepper
- 2 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp. Garlic powder
- 3 tbsp. Light brown sugar
- 1/4 c. liquid smoke, divided
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c. apple juice
- 16 oz. Coleslaw Mix
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 c. mayo
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Honey
- 1 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- In a small bowl, combine both salts, coarse black pepper, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder, and light brown sugar and stir using a fork. Set aside.
- Take the pork shoulder and rub with half of the liquid smoke all over. Next, take the dry rub and season the entire shoulder all over. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to set for, at least, 2 hours but preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 Degrees.
- Heat the dutch oven on the stove top on medium-high heat. Take half of the diced bacon and cook until it begins to brown. Unwrap the pork shoulder butt and place in the dutch oven and sear on both sides for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour in the apple cider vinegar and apple juice around the pork. Place the rest of the uncooked bacon on top of the pork shoulder. Place the lid on top of the Dutch oven and cook in a preheated oven for 6 hours.
- Once the pork has cooked it should be fork tender. Pour the rest of the liquid smoke over the pork shoulder butt. Allow to sit covered for, at least, 30 minutes before shredding.
- Use your hands, if you wish, or two forks and begin to shred the pork. Season with an extra salt and pepper, if desired. Once the pork is shredded, leave in the oven with the remaining juices.
- To make the coleslaw, add the coleslaw mix to a mixing bowl, add the apple, mayo, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper and stir until well mixed. Serve on top or on the side of the pulled pork. Serve as sandwiches using the buns and your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Main Entree
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pulled pork dutch oven, pork shoulder dutch oven, pork shoulder roast dutch oven, pork shoulder dutch oven recipes