These light and airy meringue cookies are delicious and perfect for the holiday season. Use food coloring to make the meringues festive and beautiful.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. sugar
- Red paste food coloring or regular
- Preheat oven to 200 Degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl of a standing mixer (if you have one), slowly whisk the egg whites, cream of tartar, peppermint extract, and salt. Whisk until soft peaks form. Turn the the mixer on high and gradually add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form (this is when the egg white stand straight up from the mixing attachment).
- Using a piping bag, brush the sides of the bag with the red food coloring. If you do not have the paste, add drops of red coloring around the sides. Be sure to put the tip in a small bowl until ready to use to avoid making a big mess. Carefully spoon the meringue into the piping bag. Using a star tip, begin to pipe the meringue into 2 inch stars 1 inch apart on the sheet. Bake for about 1 hour 30 minutes. or until meringues are dry and firm. Remove and cool on wire rack
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Dessert