Made with beautiful and fluffy meringue, sweetened with sugar, and a touch of peppermint, these Peppermint Meringues are the perfect holiday cookie that is surprisingly easy to make!
So here is how I convinced myself that these Peppermint Meringues are actually good for you.
Are you ready? I’ll give you a hint. What is the main ingredient in meringues? Uh hello….egg whites!
isn’t it true when you go on some crazy diet that it is suggested that you eat egg whites for breakfast? I guess to eliminate the fat from the yolk, which is pretty good honestly. So when you have a cookie that is made from egg whites, how can you blame me for eating 3 within 5 minutes? Hey, I’m packing my body with protein. Hell, meringues are the new protein snack. You can eat them before or after a workout for fuel to muscles. Are you wondering about the sugar? Well here is news for you.
You know all that crap that the world says about sugar and how bad it is for you? Bull-boloney! Sugar has no calories or fat. So there…Surgeon General, Dr. Oz, and The Dr.’s! Meringues are a secret weapon that I no longer am allowing to be a secret! Sugar….yay! Egg whites…yay! Let’s get this party started! You know I don’t believe half of what I just said, right? The only half I don’t believe is the part that I said about sugar not being bad for you, not about how Peppermint Meringues are a secret weapon. You need sugar to make meringues, so…..what does that mean? I don’t know. Let’s move on.
The texture of a meringue
What I love the most about meringues is that they are hard and crunchy. It makes for an interesting texture that I really have come to like. I know what I can compare it to. Have you ever had a soft mint? It is kind of like that but a little harder. Yea, that is a good description. And hunny they are super easy to make. What I love about meringues is that you can flavor them any way you want! You can add whatever flavor extract you are feeling that day or you can even add chocolate or caramel. Let’s not mention how cheap it is to make meringues. Hey, everyone has eggs and sugar in their homes. Well, then you have the necessary ingredients to make meringues!
I never even considered meringues until now. I highly recommend trying these amazing cookies because you will love them and fall in love as I have. If you don’t want to do peppermint, just use vanilla and maybe add the scrapings of a vanilla bean to make them even more delicious. However, you want them is up to you but they are great gifts for the holidays and a versatile recipe that can be used all year round.
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 mins
- Yield: 24-32 1x
These light and airy meringue cookies are delicious and perfect for the holiday season. Use food coloring to make the meringues festive and beautiful.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. sugar
- Red paste food coloring or regular
- Preheat oven to 200 Degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl of a standing mixer (if you have one), slowly whisk the egg whites, cream of tartar, peppermint extract, and salt. Whisk until soft peaks form. Turn the the mixer on high and gradually add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form (this is when the egg white stand straight up from the mixing attachment).
- Using a piping bag, brush the sides of the bag with the red food coloring. If you do not have the paste, add drops of red coloring around the sides. Be sure to put the tip in a small bowl until ready to use to avoid making a big mess. Carefully spoon the meringue into the piping bag. Using a star tip, begin to pipe the meringue into 2 inch stars 1 inch apart on the sheet. Bake for about 1 hour 30 minutes. or until meringues are dry and firm. Remove and cool on wire rack
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply