A cast-iron Dutch apple pie is a great way to end any meal. The delicious simple crust and succulent filling make this recipe one to enjoy.
- 5–6 Medium Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced (remove core and cord)
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. Water
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 c. flour
- 1/4 c. chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 6 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1 store bought pie crust
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter on medium high heat. Once the butter is melted and begins to bubble, add the apples and allow them to cook for 3-5 minutes. Add both sugar and stir to toss. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- In a small ramekin, mix together the cornstarch and water until dissolved. Once the apples have cooked and begin to soften, add the cornstarch mixture to the apple and sir. The sauce will begin to thicken. Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the 1 cup of sugar, salt, flour, chopped pecans, cinnamon, and melted butter. Using a fork mix the ingredients together and large coarse crumbs will begin to appear. Set aside.
- Spray a medium cast iron skillet with baking spray or grease with one tablespoon of butter. Roll out the store bought pie crust onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out an extra ¼ inch each side. Place inside skillet and gently place inside skillet leaving the excess hanging off the skillet.
- Add the apple pie filling on top of the pie crust, sprinkle with the crumb topping, and tuck the excess pie crust alongside the edge of the pie or in any decorative style you would like. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes and the pie will be slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dutch apple pie cast iron skillet, dutch apple pie in cast iron skillet, cast iron apple pie with crumb topping, cast iron dutch apple pie, skillet dutch apple pie