These Tender Cube Steaks with Mushroom and Onions is a delicious comfort meal that will satisfy any family for dinner! Just serve with mashed potatoes.
- 4 c. Buttermilk
- 6 Cubed Steaks
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced in half moons
- 6 oz. can of mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 c. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp. water
- 2 1/2 tsp. Better Than Bouillon
- 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Place the cubed steaks in a shallow dish or container. Pour the buttermilk over the cubed steaks and allow them to marinate in the refrigerator for, at least, 1 hour.
- Pour the flour into a bowl or shallow dish.
- Remove the cubed steaks from the buttermilk and shake off excess. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick large cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat. Dredge the cubed steaks in the flour on both sides and shake off the excess. Cook on both sides in the oil for 5 minutes on both sides. Remove from oil and set aside on a plate.
- Once the cube steaks are cooked, add the butter to the pan along with the pan drippings and onions to the pan with the remaining oil (add more if needed). Cook the onions until softened and add the mushrooms to the pan as well. Cook for about 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and cook for 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the water and stir scraping the skillet to bring up the drippings from the cube steaks. Add the Better Than Bouillon Beef flavor and the cornstarch mixture (combine the cornstarch with 1 tsp of water). Add salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder, and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Add the Cubed Steaks back to the pan, cover with lid, and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until fork-tender, periodically stirring the gravy.
Best served with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy cubed steak recipes, recipe for cubed steaks, smothered cube steaks, pan fried cube steaks, tender cube steaks, how to make cube steaks tender