- FOR THE BROWNIES:
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- 10 ounces, weight Semi-sweet Chocolate, Chopped
- 1–½ cup Sugar
- 4 whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cups Flour
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- ¼ cups Hershey chocolate sauce
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 16 ounces, weight Can Sweetened Condensded Milk
- 8 ounces, weight Mascarpone Cheese (if you can’t find it you can use cream cheese)
- ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- Cocoa Powder, For Dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F: In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter then add the chocolate. Stir the chocolate with a rubber spatula until blended well. Remove from heat, set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and the eggs, adding eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract, flour, salt and chocolate sauce (should be at room temperature not hot). Then add the chocolate mixture and beat with a handheld mixer until well blended. Spread the batter into a 9X9 square pan then bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the brownies to cool.
- While the brownies are cooling … Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Sugar is very temperamental so you have to constantly stir until the milk turns thick. If you don’t it will burn. This takes about 15-20 minutes. When the milk turns thick and turns a little darker than its original color, remove from heat. It should taste like toffee. If not, continue to stir and heat and periodically taste.
- Once the toffee is complete pour it over the brownies and allow it to cool completely.
- Put the mascarpone into a medium-sized bowl and beat it with a handheld mixer or standing mixer until it becomes loose and creamy. Add the sugar to the mascarpone and continue to beat–it will become fluffy. Slowly add the cream while periodically scraping the sides of the bowl. Continue to slowly add the cream until all is added. Beat until firm peaks begin to form.
- Spread the mascarpone whipped cream on top of the cooled brownies and dust with cocoa powder (optional).