Make this Philly Cheese Steak and Eggs Benedict made with caramelized onions, steak, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce.
- 1 yellow onion, medium
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 lb. Rib Eye Steak
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tsp. Coarse black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 English muffins, halved
- 4 eggs, poached
- 4 Provolone Slices
- 4 tbsp. Garlic Butter (or plain butter)
- HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
- 2 sticks butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 whole lemon, juice of
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Remove the skin/ paper from the onion and slice the onion in full circles. In a medium saute pan, heat to medium heat and add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the sliced onions and cook until the onions are softened about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a separate large saute pan on medium high heat, add the olive oil. Season the rib eye steak on both sides with the kosher salt and black pepper. Cook on both sides for 3-5 minutes until both sides have a golden and charred sear on both sides. Allow the steak to sit for 5-10 minutes. Slice the steak in slim-medium slices.
- Making the hollandaise sauce:
- Melt the two sticks of butter on low to medium heat ( you don’t want the butter to burn). Once the butter has melted, set aside.
- Separate three eggs from yolks and the whites. Place the egg yolks in a blender. Turn the blender on low to allow the yolks to combine then begin to pour the hot butter into the blender while it is still on low. Pour the butter very slowly with a thin stream going into the blender. You don’t want those yolks turning into eggs or curdling.
- Once the butter is gone, squeeze in the juice of a whole lemon while the blender is still on. Then add the salt and pepper while the blender is still on. Continue to blend for a few more seconds. The sauce should be smooth and creamy.Set aside.
- Toast the English muffins in a toaster or in the oven until toasted. Spread 1 tablespoon of garlic butter or plain butter on each of the English muffins; Add a slice of provolone cheese and place in the microwave or back in the oven just until melted; top with a few slices of the steak on each half of the muffin; top with a poached egg over the steak slices; and pour the hollandaise sauce on top of the poached egg and serve.
Garnish option: top the benedict with arugula that is tossed in lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hollandaise sauce, eggs benedict, steak benedict, steak and eggs benedict, philly cheesesteak benedict, poached eggs and steak, steak eggs benedict