Now you can have your risotto guilt free made with farro!
Try this Mushroom and Pea Risotto made with Farro making for a healthier alternative.
Have you heard of farro? Farro has really made a name for itself within these past few years. The first time I heard of Farro was on an episode of the Dr. Oz show. I remember how he was encouraging people to try Farro as it is healthier than brown rice and an awesome fiber and protein option. I believe he even mentioned how it was a good option for breakfast as an oatmeal replacer. I was immediately intrigued. So, I finally tried this new super grain that was amazing and endorsed by Dr. Oz (which means a lot, right?). The first time I made it, I must admit, I was not a fan. It had an interesting texture that I just couldn’t get with it. Now mind you, I had it as a plain side dish as I would brown rice. That wasn’t to the fault of the Farro, it was all my fault. Like with most grains, you have to add a little bit of this and a little bit of that to bring it to life. That is exactly what I did with this Mushroom and Pea Risotto made with Farro made by Village Harvest.
I didn’t want to have the same experience as I had before. Therefore, I wanted to make something that would surprise someone that Farro was the main ingredients. So I had to get creamy and decadent. I had to think of an easy, yet simple, yet still the somewhat healthy way to bring this Farro to life. Risotto sounds like a winner to me! I added some mushrooms and peas to make a delicious dish and WHA-LA! A masterpiece is born. This is the perfect way to really enjoy your Farro. The Parmesan Reggiano cheese adds some gorgeous flavor and creaminess; the peas are plump and sweet; and the mushrooms adds a nice meaty texture, which is especially good for vegetarians! Still not convinced to try Farro? Well, Farro is high in fiber, improves heart and immunity, it’s a good source of protein, high in B vitamins, and an excellent source of antioxidants. So basically, everything your body needs to thrive and be healthy is in this one ingredient! Why wouldn’t you want to try it? Well, I’m going to help you out. Below this blog post is a digital coupon for you to try Farro by Village Harvest! So, you almost have everything you need to make this Mushroom and Pea Risotto made with Farro. Now get healthy and in the kitchen!
CLICK THE LOGO TO GET YOUR $1 DIGITAL COUPON BY VILLAGE HARVEST!!!
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 8 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms, rough chopped
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ c. dry white wine
- 2 c. Village Harvest Farro
- 4 c. Chicken Stock
- 1 ½ c. heavy cream
- 1 ½ c. Parmesan Reggiano grated cheese
- 2 c. thawed frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. Fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saute pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook until browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add another 2 tablespoon of olive oil and the diced shallot. Cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next, add the white wine and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the Farro, chicken stock, and cover with lid and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes. Be sure to taste the Farro to make sure it is soft. If not, you might have to cook longer.
- Finally, add the cream, cheese, and stir. Add the mushrooms and peas and allow to simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve.